LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sitting on the dock of the Bay

Well we're here in downtown San Francisco. And it's a lovely city - got such a nice feel about it - very relaxed - I think we're going to really enjoy our sojourn here.

We'd a good but pretty rushed journey - we left home as per plan, the kids (no 1 son and family) saw us off at the airport, flew to Brisbane, not long to wait there then on to Sydney. Flight into Sydney was late which meant a bit of a scramble to get on the San Francisco flight but we made it .... just. Relaxed with a few chardies before, during and after dinner and actually both had a really good sleep. Breakfast then shortly after arrived in San Fran. Our transfer was via private car with a lovely driver originally from Louisiana with that beautiful soft drawl. Got to our hotel about 11am Monday in our time here (we actually left home at 8.30am Monday!) We were pretty whacked and had that light headed feeling you get from being tired and jetlagged, so we snuggled down on the bed and had a sleep for a couple of hours. Then up and had a shower and felt absolutely great and out to explore. More later.

It's now 5.30pm Tuesday here - Wednesday morning for most of my Aussie and NZ readers. Had a great night's sleep and feel 'in the zone' now. We didn't get up and moving till after 10am so had a muffin and coffee for breakfast then I made Bloss walk up these horrendous hills so that we reached the top of Lombard Street - the crookedest street in the world. His shoes were killing his feet so after that we headed back to the hotel, had a quick change then bought tickets for the hop on/hop off double decker bus tour. We went the full way round the circuit today which gave us a good idea of what's where in the down town area of the city. Our tickets are valid for 24 hours so tomorrow morning will be hopping on and off again - heading first up we think back to Union Square to explore Maceys and Nieman Marcus and maybe even Saks
Fifth Avenue and there's lots of lovely little eating places round there too.

Yesterday afternoon we had a walk around Fishermans Wharf, checked out Pier 39 which is where all the sea lions lie on the boat moorings, had some real clam chowder (delicious), a couple of beers in a street cafe then at night we went to Lou's Blues bar where we heard this awesome band - gosh can those guys from the deep south sing! I had goosebumps up and down my spine - especially when he sang the title song - Sitting on the dock of the Bay. For supper we went to Boudins who are huge bakers and make all kinds of sourdough bread - which I learnt from the ad. doesn't require conventional yeast but in fact gathers the necessary organisms from the air! Sounds dodgy but tasted brilliant. Will now try to download a few pics. Hope everyone is well - I've had a quick read on some blogs but haven't had time to comment. But just a quick mention to Chris H - will be thinking of you on Thursday - am sure all will go well - you can't keep a good woman down! (not like a bad woman!!!), welcome back fro m holidays to Anne - glad you had such a good time in our part of the world, Julie so sorry to hear you're still having such a rough time but glad you're off that medication, Liv I'm proud of you for sticking with it - just imagine what you'll be like when I get back from this trip, Miss B my foxy lady, hope you're still having fun with that sexy new man, Maria hope the move goes well - sorry don't have time to mention any one else but hope everyone is well and happy and I'll be reading about your escapades whenever I get the chance.
Love from the Travelling Tart xx



At our local airport ready to go



Union Square



At the bottom of Lombard Street

Posted by Picasa



The sea lions on Pier 39



At Boudins with obligatory chardonnay!!



A novel soup bowl - sourdough bread with clam chowder!



San Francisco skyline from Pier 39

Posted by Picasa



This guy knelt on the sidewalk with two handfuls of greenery in front of him. Lots of people were watching him and wondering what he was up to. But every now and then someone came along who was engrossed in conversation or looking somewhere else and so he'd poke his head out from between the leaves and shout 'boo' and the poor unsuspecting person leaps 10 feet in the air - much to the amusement of everyone watching - who of course then tip him happily. Some people are just so imaginative and creative when it comes to making money!

6 comments:

Chris H said...

Woo hoo for being in San Francisco!!! The place looks neat,you look like you are loving it, love the one about the man and his greenery! Continue having fun!

Lyn said...

Wow you're onto it with giving us updates ... thankyou!! Love pics! I really enjoyed my time in the states, I'm sure you'll have a blast!!!

The Candid Bandit said...

OH!!!

I remember EVERYTHING about that place. I could move there tomorrow. If only for the clam chowder!

The most amazing restuarant I've ever been to is on Embarcadero Drive (along side the peirs)... it was called the rainforest cafe and its like you are sitting in an actual rainforest complete with scheduled thunder and rainstorms, moving animals etc. If you can get there for lunch you'd love it Im positive!

Im all alive after reading this and full of adrenaline.

The hot romance has been put on simmer for a little while. He wants to slow everything down. Im jiggy with that.

Cannot wait for the next installment of your trip!

Julie's Journey said...

San Francisco has always been one of my special places and I remember every place you are writing about clearly. Lovely to hear from you and dont worry about me (Mark is going to trade me in on a newer model soon!). Looking forward to reading more about your travels.

Sienna said...

So glad you are having a good time. It sounds so magnificent, and the weather looks glorious as do you my sweet friend!! Keep the posts coming!!

maria said...

Back to blog-land after moving 5 days ago! And bless your heart for wishing me well in your post! I have to say..with your last blog comment (on my blog)..the way you phrased it and said 'my Maria'.. touched my heart, I needed that, so thank YOU! I was SO pleased to come here and find updates already!!! Fabulous!!! I had a similar experience when flying to the USA re: nearly missing my connecting flight in Sydney! That Clam Chowder is something I've always wanted to try in SanFran.. and in the sourdough..ugh... I am literally moved here.. it looks so delicious and like something I'd LOVE, LOVE LOVE!! I'm wondering how much it cost? I hope you enjoyed the department stores. Have you ever visited Nordstum's? Is that like Myer? I'd love to visit the one's you mentioned.. especially Neiman Marcus. Thank you for this lovely update.. I will continue reading! :-)