LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Rock, The Raisins and the Blues

So our days in San Francisco are numbered - only one more full day to go then we're off to Las Vegas. This certainly isn't the cheapest city in the world - but in fairness we haven't tried to go cheap - we've just enjoyed. Last night we had the most exquisite dinner at a restaurant called a'Sabella - I had a seafood risotto which was to die for. Now here's a few photos just to give you a bit of a sense of what we've been up to.

Just had to have my picy taken beside a SFPD car - Bloss reckoned they were there specially for me!


Took the trip to Alcatraz - the rock. It's booked out more than a week ahead so if you want to go you end up paying the scalpers prices - and we did - but regardless it was worth every cent. What a wondrous experience. They have audio tours - and it was so well narrated with brilliant background sound effects. I jumped out of my skin a couple of times and had the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end from time to time too. Here I am standing in one of the D block cells which was used for solitary confinement.




This is just another view of D Block.



Before heading out to Alcatraz we had some time to kill so walked all the way along the Embarcadero from Fishermans Wharf to the Ferry building - this was just a little picturesque view we came upon.



Today we signed up for a wine tour of the Napa Valley. We visited three wineries and the weather and scenery was magnificent. This is the gardens of the first winery - originally a cattle ranch




Here I am at the front of the winery - just so beautiful.






This is the courtyard at the front of the third winery - Viansa. It's owned by a family of Italian heritage so they've modelled it on the original family vineyard in Tuscany. It's gorgeous!




And the views from the top of the building were unreal




Then one night we found the Saloon Bar - one of the oldest bars in San Francisco which survived the 1906" earthquake. (Beck, I'm sure you must have been here!). Just let me quote what the Lonely Planet says about it - "A mix of disheveled old-timers, street people, and local hipsters hang here, and blues, and rock bands perform nightly." It was fantastic - The Lucky Strikes performed while we were there - and it was the barmaids birthday - so she joined the band and boy could she sing - and to hell with anyone wanting a drink! There were all sorts of interesting characters there and Bloss (who smokes - so has to go outside now and again) met with some wonderfully colourful characters out there. This picture below is Louie who used to play with band in former good times - he plays a mean harmonica. It's taken just outside the bar - as you can see it's doesn't have the most salubrious of frontages!



Another night we had dinner at the Foghorn Restaurant on Pier 39 and had a lovely view of the bay just as the sun was setting. Tres romantic!

OK possums - think I have managed one or two comments this week - wireless access has been free at the Radisson - not sure what the setup is when we get to the Monte Carlo in Vegas. I'll just play it by ear. Love to everyone from this wonderful city of flower power and love ins.

PS haven't managed to make it to Haight Ashbury yet - may be tomorrow .... or then again we might just have to come back!!

Love
Zanna xx

11 comments:

Anne said...

Just loving hearing about your travels and expieriences. You lucky people - enjoy!!

Christine said...

Alcatraz = wow. I really would like to go there one day. The stories those walls could tell.

Amazing pictures by the way.

Sienna said...

OMG. How beautiful! I love that cop car, straight out of the movies! I LOVE prisons, so those headphone things were the audio? How totally amazing! Glad to hear you don't have to go cheap. Tell us more about what you are eating my dear!

Chris H said...

I wanna go with you next time!!! The wineries look so lovely! Don't know about Alcatraz though! I hope you continue having a fantastic time! I like T-shirts, size L ha ha ha!!!

lg said...

Oh, I'm jealous! I went there about 10 ago and loved it to death!

Enjoy Las Vegas!

Lee-Anne said...

I'm very envious. So pleased you're a fantastic time and really like the look of the wineries. I hope they have good Sauvignon Blanc.

Enjoy your trip, especially the next stopover. Look forward to reading about it.

Julie's Journey said...

It looks wonderful. It sounds wonderful. Stop it, stop it right now. I am soooo jealous. No really I am so glad you two are having a great time. Looking forward to next instalment.
xxx

maria said...

I hope you're enjoying Vegas!! I want to see Cirque du Soleil's show 'O' at the Bellagio! Also Celine Dion's show at Caesar's Palace in the venue they built especially for her. But I understand she signed up for three years - and there can't be too many months left on that. Thanks for this lovely update too! The photo's look lovely and I hope you're enjoying all the meals.. like the seafood risotto.. Mmmm Mmmm I could go some of that right now!

jen said...

Wowwwwwwwww great pics....thanks for sharing. Just love hearing your stories...sounds fantastic travelling....

Enjoy,
Jen

molly said...

That D-block cell looks grim! Is that also you holding the water jug in the Tuscan courtyard??

The Candid Bandit said...

WOW. I HAVE to dig up my Alcatraz pics and post one for you in the EXACT same cell. I am white as a ghost. I can't believe they were booked out for a week. I jsut walked up and booked.

How amazing is that walking audio? When I walked into the dining room and they spoke of the New Years eve parties across the waters I nearly cried.

The Napa Valley Wineries were beautiful but the parts I saw (during slight drought) wern't half as nice as some Aussie ones like Barossa Valley. I had an incredible affair with a man from Manchester and we did the Napa valley wineries tour together though I can't remember a hell of alot of it cept him. :)

I never went to the Saloon Bar though I'm disappointed now. It looks wonderful! Who carea about dodgy frontage, it's all about the people, the atmosphere and mostly the mooooosic. I grinned from ear to ear when reading about it. I bet you had a ball.

I have to say, I felt like San Francisco was my home in a past life. I felt so at ease and loved every second of it. I would move there tomorrow if I could. :)

Can't wait to hearabout the Las Vegas installment!! Esp Menopause the Musical!

Mucho love and travel bugs,
xox