LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, March 26, 2007

Epiphany

Big things happening this week as my title hints. One definition of ‘epiphany’ is “A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization”. Sounds pretty dramatic doesn’t it? Well it wasn’t quite like that but there were a couple of things just all came together for me last week and now I have some brand new activities happening in my life. But first a review of last week. A loss of 400g this week – which is good but I’m greedy – just every now and then I would SO like a 1kg loss but I guess I really should know by now that my body gives every gram away reluctantly!! Alcohol – TICK – None (12 weeks!!!) Water – TICK Tracking – TICK Steps – just over 54,000 for six days – averaging 9,000 steps per day – was home sick one day so didn’t wear it that day Points – TICK – and my allowance has now dropped a point according to WW so now only getting 18 points per day Walking – managed 5 this week so that was a bit better So…… the changes? Well as some of you know from comments I’ve left etc., I’ve been thinking about getting back to the gym. I went for a couple of years but haven’t been in the last 18 months. One of the difficulties is that although there is a gym in the small town where I live, it’s pretty ordinary so I need to travel into town to get a decent one – putting almost an hour onto the time required. Then the gym I was going to gets incredibly busy between 5pm and 6.30pm so I used to go at 6.30. However that meant that it was after 8pm by the time I got home then I still had to have tea etc. I also was struggling then to fit in walks with the dog – I could walk at the gym but poor old Zanna then missed out. The other problem was that I seemed to have so many things to do week nights after work too – physio, hairdresser, beautician, dentist, food shopping, kids coming for tea and so on. I was reading an article on exercise in the WW newsletter and it all just came together for me in one of those lightbulb moments and the key thing was thinking of gym visits as an appointment rather than something I just fit in if I can. I mean I don’t put off going to the hairdresser if the kids want to come for tea that night so why should I do it for the gym. Then I got to thinking about how I could still accommodate walking Zanna. And so the plan was hatched - I get up half an hour earlier on week days – 5am instead of 5.30am and Zanna and I walk our 2ks which takes us just over 20 minutes. So that’s her happy. I started doing this on Thursday last week and I must say that by the time I leave for work just after 6.30am I’m feeling fantastic. Now the gym – decided to go to another gym in town which apparently isn’t quite as busy – No 1 son has been going to this one and reckons its pretty good. So I called in there last Thursday night and am booked for an assessment tonight. My plan will be to go to the gym Monday and Wednesday early evenings and Sunday morning at 9am. But there’s more ……again many of you will know from comments I’ve left that I’ve always wished I could run. I found out about the C25K programme a long time ago but at that stage didn’t know about the podcasts so thought it all a bit messy trying to time yourself etc.. Then after I found out about them I had to work out how to convert the files to suit my MP3 player. Then I really didn't want to be lumbering along the walking track meeting all these people I know, but figured that now I am going in the morning - there would be hardly anyone around and it's still dark and also cool. I finally got all my ducks lined up on the weekend and wait for it – I did Week 1 Day 1 this morning. Imagine – I ran for a total of 8 minutes this morning. And now here I am at work feeling absolutely invincible!!! Amazing what those endorphins can do for you. Other news – Bloss got back from his gallivanting around the country on Saturday – had a great time by all accounts but happy to be home (and I’m happy he’s back, although I loved my ME time and had just the right amount). Saturday morning No 1 grandson had his first game of footy (that’s rugby league if you live in Queensland). Must admit I’m an AFL girl! Had planned to insert a photo of him here which I emailed from home to work but just realised it hasn’t come through. Anway it was hilarious - he's only 5 and had only had two training sessions so really hadn't much of a clue - and he certainly wasn't alone in that! But so funny to see all these kids swarming all over the paddock chasing the ball and having such a wonderful time. All right good people – hope everything is well in all of your worlds and you have a great week. "If you have a dream, go for it. No one is stopping you, except yourself!" - Anon A little add on - Thanks Nanette for this idea - love it

16 comments:

Gabby said...

Hi Zanna
Congrats on another loss - I know how you feel about "having a 1kg would just be so nice". However all those little ones do add up. I haven't updated my blog for ages, however just to let you know my little losses added up to my goal weight at the begining of March! (little dance)...So happy!!
Now the real challege for me is maintaining....

Also just wanted to say yeah! do the C25k. I did alot of reading about it also (last time I ever ran in my life is, I think? back at high school in some dreaded PE class). Anyway I picked up the C25k programme and I am up to week 5 and I am running!!!! well puffing alot but I am running. So good luck you will be able to do this!
Gabby

Anne said...

You are going to be one busy lady!! Good on you though and it does work thinking of a gym session as an appointment. I know it's helped me fit it in this time.

LOL at the little grandson at the football game, they are so cute trying so hard but not having much idea.

Chris H said...

How neat that you have some exciting changes in the works.. I hope you enjoy the gym, damned if I'd be getting up at 5am though! Good for you, want to come and walk my dog too?

Pam said...

5 am??? Gosh. I get up at 7.20 am and though I've considered getting up half an hour earlier than that to have a walk - and indeed I may do this - I'm reeling at your dedication. Wow. Listen to that creaking noise - it's me bowing in admiration.

Lyn said...

Very inspiring post ... thankyou!! :)

Jocelyn said...

Hi Zanna, just wanted to say thanks for commenting so regularly on my blog, you give the best feedback, and you are such an inspiration to me :-)

You are my role model for me when I get to my fifties, you are so full of life, and fun, and doing such a great job at creating a healthy lifestyle for yourself.

Great job with the C25K, keep it up you can do it, and with the gym too. Mostly I am so dam impressed that you havent had any alcohol for 12 weeks!! Do you miss the odd glass of red? I think I would.

Cheers

Joc xxx

maria said...

Hi Zanna, I've just caught up with your blog! Very good news about the gym and you do so well don't you with your points and making the right choices, it's inspirational! I'm glad you had some 'girly time' to yourself. Funny mobile phone story too! Thanks always for saying HI at my blog:-)

Christine (Australia) said...

Sounds like everything is falling into place for you Zanna.. that's great news - and another good loss.. you must be near goal soon?? Good luck with the gym and C25K..

jen said...

wowwwwwwwwwww another loss, maybe not the kilo you would like, but heyyyyyyyyyy all those little bits do all add up...

Good luck with all your new challenges...

go girl,
Jen

Jay said...

Wow!!!!
I am so proud, you must be so proud yourself!
Not only do you have great results across the board, but it sounds like like you're really putting yourself, and your health, first. Good on ya.

lg said...

YOU CAN DO IT ZANNA!!!!

Woo hoo, I'm proud of you for giving this a go and I promise you - if I can do it then anyone else can.

I've read a lot of stuff on this and my advice would be go at your own pace (it's better to go slower than conk out) and don't stress if you need to repeat a week. You will be amazed at how quickly you will improve

Lee-Anne said...

I've just started getting up half an hour earlier in the morning and I can tell you I love it. Already I'm feeling the difference.

I'm sure we'll be rewarded.

Julie's Journey said...

You continue to amaze me and inspire me (how many times have I said this now). Way to go!

What is C25k?

Have just read the other comments and you sure inspire a lot of people. Your blog is a true gem.

Suzy said...

Well done on another great loss! Wow, you are certainly motivated. Gym and walking and running! That's fantastic!

Pam said...

Thanks for your kind comment about my dad's death. It's much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Well done on your loss this week. Sounds like you have hatched a plan that will work well for you.
Stick with it and you will get results in no time.