LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday, January 05, 2008

From the Wintry Wilds of Scotland

This was the scene from Mums lounge room window yesterday afternoon. Just a wee bit cold! We've still got some snow today but it's much more sleety.




But first news of Mum. I got a hugely pleasant surprise when I arrived here last Saturday afternoon - she looked so much better than I thought she would. And in the 6 days that I've been here she has continued to make progress each day. She's still quite tired a lot of the time but I guess that's only to be expected after a 5 hour op, 6 units of blood and being almost 75.




Posted by Picasa
New Year's day brought us a surprise 'first foot' - a Scottish tradition where if the first person to cross your threshold after New Year is tall dark and handsome (and carrying a piece of coal) it brings you good luck for the rest of the year! Anyway our first foot was none other than my ex husband and his wife. He's been working in Iceland, the contract has just finished and they were holidaying around Scotland and Ireland. Made for a bizarre set up as he still would do anything rather than talk to me. However they stayed for the rest of the day and had dinner with us - all of which really pleased Mum as she always had a great relationship with him and so was happy that he'd taken the trouble to visit and his wife is easy to talk to and has no problem chatting to me. The photo above is one they took for us - back row, left to right my brother in law, my sister, my brother, my sister in law and then in front Mum, me and my two nephews standing in front of their parents.


This one was taken at my brother's house last night - shows that Mum is looking really quite well.


My sister, her husband and I managed to attend a couple of new year functions. This is us at a ceilidh held in a local pub.

And this is my brother and two nephews

No other real news - seem to be eating lots - and drinking lots of alcohol but not much water so suspect there'll be a bit of a rude awakening in a couple of weeks time! Heading off to London tomorrow to stay with my old school friend. But first up I'm meeting my friend Shaz's daughter who is currently holidaying and working in London. Monday I plan to indulge in a bit of retail therapy before flying back up to Glasgow on Tuesday.

OK folks, that's all for now - sorry for not commenting but my internet access has been very hit and miss since I got here - Mum and my sister are part of a local area wireless network and I've piggy backed on to it but for some reason my laptop doesn't always pick up the connection. But I am reading whenever I get the chance.

Happy new year everyone - make 2008 a masterpiece!!
Love
Z xx
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Chris H said...

Oh man that looks cold! And you stand out with such a fantastic tan! I'm so pleased your Mum is looking so well.... and you are having a great time! HAPPY NEW YEAR... a bit late!

Christine said...

You are always glowing in all of the pictures that you share! :)))

Apple2Hourglass said...

What a beautiful picture - how I miss the fairy tale-ness of it. Not the cold though - you can keep that. So glad your Mum is better, she looks well in the pics. Happy New Year! How funny with your ex turning up as first foot!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics. Such lovely snow, bit different to Qld!!!

Your mum looks well in the pictures, its great to hear she is doing so well.

Have a wonderful time in London

Cat

jen said...

Gorgeous pics, but brrrrrr a bit too chilly looking for me.

Glad your mum is looking and feeling heaps better....

Keep on having a fantastic time,

Jen

maria said...

I was excited to find a post from Scotland! And to see you with your family! Your brother's a bit of a spunk if I may say that...

You're so far away from us.. but I'm happy you are with your loved ones and heading to London too.

Have a *great* time, stay safe and I look forward to hearing more.

Lovely photo's, thank you for sharing :-) xox

Anne said...

It looks beautiful, cold but beautiful! We had one New Year in Scotland and had a blast.

Had to giggle at who you had turn up for your first foot.

Lovely to be able to have that time with your mum and she is looking great for her age! Enjoy your time over there.

Amy said...

I am so sorry but I haven't checked my blog for a few days and only checked tonight. I am sorry I have missed you. I would have loved to catch up. Are you coming through london again before flying home?? If you are text me or call me. My number is 07962959752. I'm so sorry again.

It looks like you are having a good time and i'm glad your mum is doing well.

Aims
xxxxxxx

Em said...

Oh how gorgeous is that picture........really enchanting in a way ....... So glad your mum is improving she looks really good as do you but thats not news lol.... take care

Julie's Journey said...

What a great picture! Your Mum looks amazing and I'm glad she is mending well. Enjoy the rest of your holiday you little jetsetter.
xxx

Suzy said...

Oh Happy New Year Zanna!!

We are sweltering here and that snow looks so beautiful.

How lovely for you to be with your Dear Mum. Have a wonderful time. xx