LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, January 28, 2008

Finding Focus

Well I've been home a week now - not the best week ever but it's all coming good now. I always struggle when I come back from UK to get my internal clock back to the right time. Funnily enough I don't have a problem coming or going anywhere else. So it meant about one and half hours sleep on both Sunday and Monday nights last week and while I got an extra day off on Monday I did have to be back to work on Tuesday. I had to leave at 3pm though as I was literally falling asleep at my desk. However each night it got a bit better and I can honestly say now that I feel well rested and back to normal (or as normal as I ever get LOL)

Foodwise I've tried to get back on the straight and narrow as I brought a couple of kilos back with me!!! Altogether I have been really quite good this week but the scales aren't showing anything clever which is quite disappointing. Mind you I was so full of airline food last Sunday that I didn't eat anything until well through Monday so when I had my reckoning weigh in I was probably quite dehydrated and then of course I've been so tired that exercise hasn't been on my list of things to do either. However I can say that I've had 5 alcohol free days this week and that my food intake has been good and measured. So the plan for this week is to maintain that good food intake, no alcohol and try to get the exercise regime up and running again.

Below I've posted some pics of Scottish icons both food and other. And it's some of those icons which have contributed to my 2kg excess baggage!!

This guy is innocent - he's just someone who always makes me think of Sundays as a kid - reading "Oor Wullie" which was a cartoon in our Sunday paper.


One of my favourites here - square sliced Lorne sausage - love this grilled - it's very fatty and some people even fry it which must make it a heart attack sandwich but we always grill ours to a frazzle.


And of course no visit to Scotland is complete without Haggis, Neeps and Tatties - haggis, swede turnip and potatoes is the translation.

An old favourite - my granny always used to have these in the biscuit tin and I loved them (and still do!) Confess to having two of them this trip.

And another reason why people in the West of Scotland have such a high rate of heart disease - the ubiquitous Scotch Pie - I had one of those too - but it had been sitting in a pie warmer for a while so wasn't that nice at all and in fact had all the fat dried out of it I'd say!

So not really a lot to say this week - have had an incredibly lazy long weekend but feel like I'm ready to tackle the week ahead. Made a few appointments - the optometrist on Wednesday - really need to update my glasses - and thinking that I'm going to try contacts for my distance vision. Thursday I've got a doctor's appointment - need to get my thyroxene script updated and want to discuss getting a long standing varicose vein on my leg fixed - doesn't pose me too much of a problem but does both itch and ache sometimes and is becoming increasingly ugly - and I figure that since I've got private health cover I might as well use it. After the doctor's it's off to the hairdressers again - went there on Saturday and got a colour to cover up all those nasty dark bits but it's very flat so getting a root perm to lift it a bit - still persevering with growing it. Then Saturday is waxing day - time to get all the bits tidied up! Other major plan in the offing is to finally sign up to the gym which opened locally about 6 months ago. I've been thinking about it for a while but to get the best deal I need to sign up for a 12 monthly direct debit and I've been reluctant to do that as I've been tripping around so much but since I'm now in for a long 'dry' spell I feel that now would be a good time to make the commitment. Watch this space!

So that's my two bobs worth for this week - I've already done some forward planning for the weeks healthy eating - the jellies and fruit are made and in the fridge and I've prepared a huge bowl of mixed salad and the plan is that for the next couple of days I'll just fill a container, add some ham, salmon or tuna and I'll have a ready made lunch. So here goes and hopefully I'll have a decent number to report next week. I'm definitely not liking the spare tyre - it's where it always goes first!

Take care lovelies!
Z xx

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are getting over the jet lag pretty well, its just such a hideous feeling.

I still cant eat haggis, ive tried it once and decided i couldnt cope with what it was lol. What about the scotch whiskey? did u manage any of it while back home?

Good luck with all your appointments this week

Apple2Hourglass said...

I hope one of those Tunnocks was for me!! hehe
I adore them - lucky you can't buy them here. Well you know, you can but you have to go to the Scottish shop in Skygardens in Sydney. Although, they probably sell them online. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - i'm not going there. I'm not, i'm not, i'm NOT!! hahaha

Lainey said...

I'm having haggis tonight at a belated burns supper - can't wait!

I love neeps too. Especially when mashed up with loads of butter. Mmmmmm.

Glad you're getting into the swing of life again. x

Anne said...

Oh I remember "Our Wullie"!!! Loved to read him:-)

Also remeber some ot the Scottish food. My nana used to fry pikelets in the bacon fat (not sure what they are called over there - like a small pancake). Dad had a thing for black pudding and fried bread.

Sounds as if you have your year mapped out - some great plans like the gym!

Chris H said...

Hells bells you have a lot planned.. hair, Doctor, veins, waxing (brazillian I presume too !).... go you!

Suzy said...

Welcome home!
Well done for getting straight back on track too xx

Em said...

My fiancee is of Scottish heritage ...one day we hope to go there for a visit.... good for you on all this planning sounds like the key to success..have a great week x

maria said...

I've tried some of those Scottish foods at a Highland festival. I've tried the Haggis with tatties which was ok.. (still left a greasy film in my mouth)..and that 'Square' stuff.. fried.. It was just postively BLEH! Just way too fatty. They had them enmasse on a BBQ and served in a hamburger bun.

All the best for your waxing and optometrist appointments.. and the new gym!! You'll be sans spare tyre in no time at all.. I have faith in you!

maria said...

p.s. re: the caramel wafer bar.. I've seen them for sale in places that sell international confectionary..but I've never tried one. You have me curious now!

Lee-Anne said...

I enjoyed reading about your trip home to Scotland. Glad your mum's recovering well.

What a bit of a nightmare trip home you had, at least it makes for a good travelling story.

Glad you're settling in again and getting back into routine.

You are a very determined lady so I can't see your excess hanging around for too long.

I'm sure Bloss and Zanna are pleased you're home.

Lyn said...

Haggis is one of those things I've always thought about trying but never have. Guess I might have to go to Scotland one day to try it! heheh