LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Big Things Happening!

But not much on the weight loss front. However I have got into exercise much more this week - actually went running on Saturday - first time for about four months and did enjoy it though have a bit to do to get back to where I was. I've also walked for the last three days too, so feeling good about that. Food has been rather good but still a smidgin of alcohol creeping in!!

But the big news .... I have yet another overseas trip planned for this year - I fly out on 28th December for three weeks in Scotland with my family there. That will make four overseas trips in the same year - what a gadabout!!

The story behind this latest trip is that my Mum has to have hip replacement surgery - this all flared up about 6 months ago and she's now in constant pain and unable to stay actively involved in her usual social life which revolves around lawn bowling. She's been waiting for a date to come through for her surgery but in the meantime I could hear that the whole business was dragging her down and the feedback from my brother and sister was that the last few months had aged her considerably. She's normally an incredibly active, positive, progressive and youthful thinking lady despite being about to celebrate her 75th birthday in January. So after a recent phone call when she sounded quite down, I had a discussion with Bloss and said that I thought I should try and schedule a quick trip back to see her and cheer her up. Obviously I wanted to try and plan this around such things as being there after her op rather than during, trying to go when I already had public holiday leave and getting a reasonably priced airfare. It all came together beautifully with my travel agent finding me the last remaining seats on some great priced flights, the date for Mum's op coming through to line up with those dates perfectly, and my boss allowing me to have leave.

Then I had the lovely task of telling Mum on Sunday night that I was coming. She's over the moon and it sounds like it's just given her the pep up she needed. Needless to say I'm very excited too - I haven't seen her for 3 years and although I saw my sister 2 years ago when she and her husband were here, I also haven't seen my brother, wife and 2 little nephews for 3 years either.

So on 28 December (only 7 weeks away), I fly from Brisbane, to Singapore, Amsterdam and then Glasgow and then leave to come back again on 16 January. So I get New Year's Eve (Hogmanay to us Scots) and also Mum's 75th birthday on 11 January while I'm there - how good is that!

So will spend a lot of my time there driving Mum round as she won't be able to drive. I'm sure we'll have lots of lunches, morning teas and visits to the old Aunties and other relies, who will all be so excited that "Anne from Australia" is back. But what a great incentive for me to get my act together and really focus on getting a few more kilos off before then.

We went to one of my company's Christmas party on Saturday night. We picked up my friend Shaz on the way - and shared a couple of champagnes with her - she was celebrating as she had just heard that her son, DIL and 3 grandchildren were coming back from the US to spend Christmas. Anyway a selection of silly photos followed and like a good little blogger I'm sharing them with you all.


Shaz and I posing like the couple of charlies we are

Shaz and Bloss

Bloss and I doing the gooey look on the settee

Bloss's fault - managed the 'soft focus' on this one.

Posted by Picasa
Having major dramas at work this week, nothing I can't solve but time consuming nonetheless - still trying to support another area through process issues, support one of my people who is having to move across the country with her husband and family and really doesn't want to leave her job with me, farewell another one who has scored a job closer to home on many thousands of dollars a year more money, and so recruit three new team members in total since I 've had a vacancy since before I went on leave when another one had to leave and move back to Darwin for family reasons. Then the one remaining one who has been having major problems with her knee has to go in for surgery on that in two weeks time. The joys of being a team leader! (and wondering if I'm wearing the wrong perfume!)
OK that's my news for the week - a big 'un but a good'un. Hope all is well in your world.
Take care and live every day like it might be your last.
Love Z xxx

13 comments:

Chris H said...

You certainly know how to gad about mate! Your Mum must be so pleased... it is perfect timing alright. Are you still coming over here early Dec?

Anne said...

Exciting having the trip plans to see your family! The trip plans work out perfectly. Yes - you are a gadabout! One day I would love to go back for a Scottish New:-)

Jocelyn said...

Hey Z, thats really exciting that you are going to visit your family, although sad that your mum has to have surgery. I am sure it will be a fantastic time for both of you though!

Sorry to hear you are having stresses at work, but I have no doubt that you will deal with them graciously and effectively.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very exciting about the trip back home. Your mum must be so thrilled that you are coming, although its sad that she is having to have surgery. Make sure you dig your scarf, hat and gloves out before you leave. The UK winter is the one thing i do not miss hehe. It will be great fun though catching up with everyone again. I love going back purely to see how everyone has changed. We arent heading back until july/august 2009 so that will be 3 years away as well. Gosh time flies, i seem to have blinked and 2007 is nearly over, wots that about hehe.

Hope the work stresses settle down soon

Cat
XO

Suzy said...

Oh how lovely for you to spend some time with your Mum. Glad it all worked out for you with flights etc.

Lyn said...

That will be just what she needed! And you know what they say about positive things helping with recovery!!

Julie's Journey said...

Isnt it wonderful when everything falls into place - Im sure it will at work too. You just seem to be one of those people who emanate good vibes. By the way, love your shoes and am very envious at the heels. Past me until I get my feet "fixed".

The Candid Bandit said...

Just pop past here and pop me in your suit case will you? WHATDDYA MEAN EXCESS LUGGAGE??

LOL

That is awesome news, but I was a little too consumed with looking at both your amazing shoes....

jen said...

Yep, a gadabout...but be great to spend time with your mum...

Jen

maria said...

Ok, I have to be honest here.. we are all in this together anyway (blogging bare bones truth). When I read about your next trip, my forehead met with my wooden dining table.

It was a mixture of delight, excitement, why-isn't-it-me, I'll-have-what-she's-having,can't believe it, how wonderful especially for Zanna's Mum AND her 75th birthday coming up.. it was all that! Jaw dropping, great news!

I was going to say you don't let the grass grow under your feet, but more fittingly, you don't let the ink dry on your passport. A good thing in my books! Have you and Bloss been apart that long before?

I hope all goes well for your at work.. as you put pieces together..and also for your Mama and her impending op.

Great cazsh (casual) photo's too btw! :-)

molly said...

What fun! Are you also an Isabelle fan? If you go to Scotland, the tradition is [started by Fifi] that you have to look up Isabelle!
Bon Voyage and good luck losing a few more pounds.....

Sienna said...

Glad to hear you are happy and healthy. Your next trip sounds very exciting!!!

Lee-Anne said...

Well, you don't call yourself the travelling tart for nothing for nothing. It will be a wonderful thing spending this time with your mum and family. My big sister had a hip replacement last week and she's coming right now.

The Christmas parties have started and will continue through until mid december. I have to work out a survival plan.

I do love your shoe collection.