LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Been Walkabout

Well I haven't really - just a bit busy and kept putting off getting my act together and doing an update.
Life has been busy and good. Eating and exercise not quite so good! I'm still the same as I was last post and fast running out of time to do anything much about it. I'm not unhappy at this weight but would just be happier a bit lighter. But enough of that - what's been occupying my time?
Well work for one thing - been busy and a couple of weeks ago was asked if I could go with a colleague from one of our Brisbane offices to spend a couple of days at a coal mine about an hour and a half inland from Mackay. They were having a few difficulties with the Learning Management System and needed some help in setting up their reports. Reporting has become my sort of specialty area plus I guess I'm regarded as one of the system's power users. While the main focus of my role is on the two sites in this area, one of our team functions is to service and support Rio Tinto sites all over the East coast of Australia. It was great to meet new people and get the opportunity to find out more about a different facet of Rio - my work is normally with aluminium - refining and smelting. The mine has it's own village (camp) and we stayed there for the two nights we were up there - an amazingly well thought out and well run place. I also got a tour of the mine - and the sheer magnitude of it and the machinery used just blew me away.
Then we get the lovely news that No 2 son was coming for a short visit and bringing his girlfiend with him. I think I've posted before that Luana is from Brazil and they've been maintaining a long distance relationship with Clive visiting Brazil every couple of months. He's been working in Singapore since March and this last break when he went back to Brazil he brought her back to Singapore with him. Last week they had a few days in Bali, then came to us for a few days then this morning have headed off to Perth to see his dad then back to Singapore on Wednesday. We had a hilarious half hour last night trying to capture the whole family in one photo using the camera on timer. But here's probably the best of the bunch.
On Thursday night Clive and Luana gave me a huge box to open - my birthday is in a couple of weeks and they won't be here so were giving me my present early. This is what I got:
She's a namoradeira. It's a difficult word to translate but the closest seems to be 'the flirt'. In Brazil many houses have a namoradeira on their window ledge - she's is always posed the same way with her hand on her cheek, looking at the passersby and trying to catch their attention. Luana bought this lovely lady unpainted and her godmother's sister hand painted her for me. Then she was transported from Brazil to Singapore, then Singpaore to Bali and then finally from Bali to Queensland. So I feel very special to have been given such a lovely present which has had so much thought and care gone into it and is a part of another country's traditions. Here's a picture of the lovely couple
Posted by Picasa
So just over four weeks till the tart starts travelling again. Beginning to get very excited and got organising and packing preparation happening. I'm one of these people who enjoy the journey as much as the destination so am actually loving all the research into where we're going, what the weather will be like and what kind of gear we should take.
All right peeps I think that's youn all up to date with what's been happening in my life. I've managed I think, to keep track of you all and left a sprinkling of comments here and there. So have a great week - back soon!!
Love Zxx

7 comments:

jen said...

ohhhh not long now and you'll be travelling again...time has flown by ehhh?

Love the family pic, and the birthday pressie.

Maria Catalina Wiley said...

I'm getting excited for you! I hope you have a wonderful time in Budapest, my parents' birth city:)I hope you get to sample the good food & wine there!

Nola said...

Wow...that was a lovely thoughtful gift ... I love her!! Your work sounds very interesting...I loved my OHS role in mining...I intend to look up my old GM (who is back on the West Coast) when I get to Strahan and see if he has any work going:) Not sure I can stand being "unemployed" for too long!
Have a wonderful trip....I will follow on FB anyway until you go!!

Apple2Hourglass said...

Um if you son ever breaks up with her, can you send him my way? He's gorgeous!
*wink*

Lonicera said...

Hi Zanna! Thank you so much for the very nice remarks you left on my blog. I'm so glad I've now had a browse through yours, I found it interesting and entertaining - and I'm very envious of the layout... I'm still trying to figure out how to use more of the screen in the way you have (blurb in the middle and choice of interesting things on either side). I'm scared of losing what I've got if I experiment too much!
An impressive list of places you've been to - I hope you'll consider Argentina one day, I think you'd love it.
Thanks again
Caroline

Lainey said...

What a gorgeous couple! I can really see you in your son - beautiful family!

Love the new blog header by the way. Very nice!

And thanks for all your comments on my recents posts. It means a lot to me. x

Lainey said...

Hello hello

Can you remind me of your email address?

Thanks! x