LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Shopping in Vietnam

Well back to home sweet home tonight - and despite having a long haul back - left HCMC last night at 9.30pm and home via Sydney and Brisbane and finally back here around 5pm, we're both not feeling too bad. The painter has been here as planned but isn't finished yet (not quite as planned) but doesn't matter too much apart from the fact that the washing machine is buried beneath dust covers and I have a humungous pile of washing to do! I thought I'd do a little shopping post for all you like minded people. I've taken photos of most of the goodies we brought back - good job we took a couple of empty bags in our suitcases! Then next post I'll tell you a bit about our holiday other than just food and shopping which is all I've rabbited on about up to now. The shopping was pretty good - I still love Hong Kong and Thailand for shopping but this was pretty good too and some real bargains. Of course you have to barter which (she says modestly) I'm pretty good at - we all have a bit of a laugh and Bloss tells them what hard woman I am! I don't know that I always get the rock bottom prices but they're so cheap that it's a bit pointless to start haggling over 20cents which is what some people come down to. If I feel I've got a bargain then I'm happy!
Well of course I couldn't possibly have a holiday without buying some shoes. In fact I had to throw two pairs out while away as they gave up the ghost so I didn't feel at all guilty buying another couple of pairs. These cost me about $24 for both pairs
These are lovely little shawl/scarves - great for over a little black dress or black top to change the look. These were about $5 each. The last photo shows me wearing the orange one.
Did a bit of a job lot so not quite sure what each of these were worth - there are two sets of three little change purses (Louis Vuitton copies) and one wallet - I think the sets of change purses were about $4 each set.
Had to get a toy for my grandsons - these worked out about $16 dollars each - came with battery and make all sorts of noises and voices when you shake them. Had to take the batman one out of the box to shut it up otherwise we'd probably have had a security alert with all the sounds they make!
Posted by Picasa
Didn't find Vietnam as good as HK for kid's clothes but picked up a couple Lacoste for the boys and also a Diesel and Billabong for their Dad - Dad's were about $6 each and the boys were probably around $7 each but they are decent material
Tiffany - my DiL loves shoes too so got her a couple of pairs - $8 for both pairs
A few bits and pieces here - got 2 pairs of little pearl earrings - can't remember how much. Couple of pairs of designer sunglasses - about $10 for both. The little wooden trays on the side have little incense cones and a tiny ceramic dish to sit them in to burn them - kinda got hooked on these after the ones at the Ana Mandara in Nha Trang. ($1 each)
There's lots and lots of beautiful lacquer ware. The colour hasn't quite come out right in this - it's a beautiful rich ruby red. It's a large box with a lacquered lid and inside are 8 place mates, 8 coasters and 8 napkin rings - and I was sorely in need of some new table mats. $30
Posted by Picasa
Think I might have told you that one wall of my office is covered in pictures of places we'v travelled to. This is for the wall - it depicts a junk in Halong Bay (where we sailed last week). $2
A set of three prints I couldn't resist - they'll probably go on the wall too - about $12 for the three - couldn't be bothered bargaining that day.
Loved these and bought about 20 of them - they were about $2 each - don't know if you can see the ones at the back clearly - they have pictures of lingerie embroidered on them and words like Lingerie, Underwear and Petite Linge. I thought they'd be a lovely little gift for some of my friends and team.
Tiffany is a teacher and covers the Vietnam War in Social studies so she wanted as much info as I could get for her - so got these two books. I'll tell you about the tunnels in another post.

Some more lacquerware - got these for two close friends - thought they'd be nice on their dressing table - think each pair was around $10 And we bought another oil painting - obviously will need to get it stretched again but I have a spot in mind for it in the lounge room. It's called the "Four Seasons' and supposedly represents the seasons. $38. This photo doesn't do these justice - it's a beautiful little PJ set in satin - an XL mind you which will fit Tiff (who's an 8/10!!!) but the sizes are so different in Vietnam as they are such a tiny race. These were only $4. As I said my laptop bag died so I bought a new one and then decided to buy the backpack too. I do rather like LV as you might gather. Laptop bag around $30 and the backpack about the same I think.Posted by PicasaPosted by Picasa

Bloss got a few new shirts
And some new jocks!
And here's me wearing the orange shawl
Posted by Picasa
Hope you enjoyed shopping with me
Take care
Z xx

10 comments:

jen said...

Loved the shopping trip darl, thanks for taking me.

ohhhhhhh you looke gorgeous, that scarf so suits you,

Jen

Lainey said...

Wow! You know how to shop woman! Very impressive!

Trip sounds fab and you are looking fab.

Thanks for the comment on my last post - you summed it up perfectly. x

Chris H said...

Glad you are safely home again. Wow to all the shopping, you did well. I totally LOVE the paintings.... and all of your buys!

Anne said...

I'm sitting here drooling at the goodies you bouught. Love the LV bags! Very impressive. Love the shawls, shoes.... Paintings are stunning also the lacquer ware.

You are looking great! Another trip full of memories for you. I'm tentaively thinking we will be going further afield next year:-)

Apple2Hourglass said...

Wow, thanks for that, I feel like i've been shopping too! Great stuff, bargain prices. You are the Queen of shopping girl!
Can't wait to hear your opinion of the tunnels though, I've heard mixed things, but everyone I know who has been has been truly moved by the experience.
Bri
x x x

The Candid Bandit said...

Welcome home!

I love, love, love the shoes in the first picture. Gorgeous!

Yummy Mummy said...

WOW!!! You did well with your shopping. My Mother in law has gifts for us, next time we see hew! Hoping that there is a shawl or two or perhaps some LV in my pile!

Jocelyn said...

Glad to see you back safely, sounds like a fabulous trip, and looking at all of your shopping is almost as good as shopping myself!

maria said...

Loved viewing all your bits and pieces, thanks so much for sharing. I'd have no hope buying clothes in Vietnam.. In fact, a friend of mine who is a size 14 says that when she travelled to Paris and China she felt like an elephant and the biggest person on the streets! Same in Vietnam?

Those things you bought 20 of.. with the pictures of lingerie and shoes..what were they? Little posters? Hankies? I can't quite make them out.

You wear the orange shawl well.. it looks good on you!

I love the lacquer wear sets! I wouldn't be able to resist those.

Glad you are back safe and well. I look forward to hearing about your impressions of everything. Though I think starting out with food, shopping and hotel pics was a nice indulgence for us and a great intro to the rest of your tales :)

gunnadoit said...

Just thought i would leave a comment instead of just lurking at your blog. I have found your enteries fantastic to read. We love travelling too. Unfortunately we just cancelled our November trip to Vietnam as hubby has a few health issues to sort out and as we are off to Hawaii in 4 days we just ran out of time to book the accommodation and sightseeing tours. Luckily we got a full refund on our airfares. But....after reading about your Vietnam adventure i am now having second thoughts and wish we had of pressed on and made the trip. Thanks for sharing all your photos with us...it looks amazing!!

You sound like us...addicted to travel, lol. I like to have one to two trips booked as i really enjoy the planning and research which goes into making a great holiday.

Anyway enough from me and look forward to reading your next blog enteries.

Annette